Skip to main content

2018 Municipal Election

2018 Municipal Election

Municipal Elections take place every four years in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act. The next regular Municipal Election to elect a Mayor, Councillors and School Board Trustees will be on October 24, 2022. The current term of Council ends in November, 2022.

View the Election Results - 2018 Municipal Election Results

Candidate Financial Statements

The Township of South-West Oxford is required to make all candidate's financial statements available at no charge for viewing by the public on a website or in another electronic format in accordance with Section 88 (9.1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. Completed financial statements are required to be filed with the Clerk no later than 2:00 p.m. on Friday, March 29th, 2019, on the prescribed form. 

Financial Statements that have been filed with the Clerk are available for viewing below:

Debbie Kasman - Financial Statement

David Mayberry - Financial Statement

Craig Gillis - Financial Statement

Geoffrey Innes - Financial Statement

George Way - Financial Statement

Jim Pickard - Financial Statement

Kelly Cowell - Financial Statement

Peter Ypma - Financial Statement

Valerie Durston - Financial Statement

Paul Buchner - Financial Statement

Election Accessibility

The Township is commiteed to conducting an election that accommodates, encourages participation and inspires the confidence of all persons in the voting process. If you have any concerns about the accessiblity of the election please contact the Clerk at 519-485-0477 ext. 223 or via email at 

A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in the Township, if on Voting Day the person is:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years old;
  • Residing in the Township or an owner or tenant of land in the Township, of the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
  • Is not otherwise prohibited from voting.

Between April and August, 2018 municipal enumerations will be conducted by MPAC in order to prepare a preliminary list of electors for the Township. If you have moved since the last election in 2014 or have not confirmed your citizenship through MPAC, you may not be on the list. The Township encourages all voters to participate in MPAC’s 2018 municipal enumeration.

Are you on the Voter's List?

Follow the steps in the video below to find out.

Township Council approved the use of Internet and Telephone voting methods for the 2018 Municipal Election. These voting methods will replace the Vote-By-Mail method used during the 2014 Municipal Election. Internet and telephone voting is fast and convenient and will give voters the opportunity to cast their ballots from anywhere using a computer, smart phone, tablet or touchtone telephone, 24 hours a day throughout the ten day voting period.

Whether an elector is away on personal travel, suffering from an illness, working days or nights, has a disability or difficulty travelling, they may cast their ballot from anywhere with an internet connection or a telephone. Additionally, voters will no longer need to get in their cars and travel to polling locations, reducing greenhouse gas emissions; and no ballots will need to be preinted which reduces the amount of paper needed for the election.

Telephone voting is comparable to telephone banking and is like internet voting, however voters make their selections by touchtone phone. Telephone voting is not compatible with rotary dial phones.

During the voting period Township staff will be available to help voters by phone or at the Voting Help Centre to check to see if they are on the voters list, add or amend their information on the list, use a computer to vote or to answer any questions about the election or voting process.

View Common Voter Questions and Answers for eVoting

The nomination period for the next Municipal Election opens on May 1, 2018 and closes on Nomination Day, July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. A Candidate for Municipal Office must, upon nomination, be a qualified municipal elector in the Township and fulfill the following requirements:

  • Live in the Township of South-West Oxford, be an owner or tenant of land in the Township, or the spouse of an owner or tenant;
  • Be a Canadian citizen;
  • Be at least 18 years old on Voting Day;
  • Not legally prohibited from voting or disqualified by any other legislation.

For the upcoming Election, new requirements under the Municipal Elections Act require that anyone wishing to run for office as a member of Council submit signatures of at least 25 eligible voters supporting their nomination to run for office.

Campaign periods being when candidates file their nomination papers and end on October 22, 2018. Candidates may not accept donations, spend money or advertise until their file their nomination.

If you are interested in running for office, you are encouraged to view the Candidates' Guide prepared by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

More information for candidates and electors will continue to become available over the next few months. Questions may be directed to Julie Forth, Clerk at 519-485-0477 ext. 223 or

The following forms are required to be submitted with the Clerk to file your nomination. Nominations must be filed by 2:00 p.m. on July 27th:

Nomination Paper -  Form 1

Endorsement of Nomination - Form 2

Freedom of Information Release

Anyone interested in running for office is encouraged to read the following resources which will provide you with more information on running for office:

When is the 2018 Municipal Election?

  • The 2018 Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018
How can you vote in the 2018 Municipal Election?
  • Internet and telephone voting only. 

What is the first day candidates can file their nomination paper?

  • Tuesday, May 1, 2018 (previously January 1).
  • Candidates that are running for School Board Trustee offices must contact the City of Woodstock Clerk.

When will nomination papers be made available?

  •  Nomination papers are now available online.

When is the last day a candidate can file their nomination paper?

  • Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m. 

How do I file nomination papers?

  • All nominations forms must be filed in-person at the Township Office located at 312915 Dereham Line, Mt. Elgin. Candidates will be required to pay the nomination fee, provide identification, and swear an oath at our office.

How do I withdraw my nomination?

  • We have a Notice of Withdrawl form that you will be required to complete at the Elections Office. This must be done before the close of nominations on July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.

What is a Third Party Advertiser?

  • A Third Party Advertiser can be an individual, corporation or trade union that is not a candidate, but participates in the election by running a campaign the same way a candidate would. A Third Party Advertiser can run a campaign that promotes or opposes a particular candidate.

What is the timeframe for Third Party Advertisers to register?

  • Third Party Advertisers must register with the Clerk between May 1, 2018 and October 19, 2018.

Where and how are the Voter's Lists provided?

  • The Voters’ List will be available to candidates on September 1, 2018. On the written request of a certified candidate for an office, the clerk shall provide him or her with the part of the Voters’ List that contains the names of the electors who are entitled to vote for that office.

When can I start campaigning?

  • You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.

How do I know if I am disqualified from holding office?

  • It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seek legal advice immediately. You will also be required to swear an oath of qualification when filing your nomination.

How does a candidate choose which ward to run in? Do you have to live in the ward you are running in?

  • A candidate can run for office in the ward of their choice. You do not have to live in the same ward you are running in. However, you do have to vote from the address at which you reside. For example, you live in Ward 2, but are running in Ward 1. You have to vote in Ward 2.

What is the definition of a residence?

In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 a person’s residence is “the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return”. The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

  • A person may only have one residence at a time
  • The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place
  • If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger or to which he or she habitually returns.

Are there limitations on entering apartment buildings after submitting nomination papers?

  • Campaign provisions have been clarified to allow candidates to access apartment buildings, condominiums, non-profit housing co-ops or gated communities from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. in order to campaign. Landlords and condominium corporations will not be allowed to prohibit tenants or owners from displaying campaign signs in their windows. Here are the excerpts from the legislation:

Access to residential premises

   88.1  No person who is in control of an apartment building, condominium building, non-profit housing cooperative or gated community may prevent a candidate or his or her representative from campaigning between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. at the doors to the apartments, units or houses, as the case may be.

Display of signs at residential premises

   88.2  (1)  No landlord or person acting on a landlord’s behalf may prohibit  a tenant from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises to which the lease relates.

Same, condominium corporations

   (2)  No condominium corporation or any of its agents may prohibit the owner or tenant of a condominium unit from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises of his or her unit.


   (3)  Despite subsections (1) and (2), a landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may set reasonable conditions relating to the size or type of signs in relation to an election that may be displayed on the premises and may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building in which the premises are found.


   (4)  Despite subsection (3), no landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building if space in the building is being used as a voting place.

The legislation regarding the rights of candidates to enter apartment buildings, condominiums, and non-profits for the purposes of canvassing can also be found in the Condominium Act, 1998, S.O. 1998, Chapter 19Residential Tenancies Act , 2006, S.O. 2006, Chapter 17 and Co-operative Corporations Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter C.35

Have there been any changes to legislation since the last election?

  • Yes, the Municipal Elections Modernization Act, passed June 7, 2016 made changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. These changes affect the Nomination Calendar, Eligibility, Third Party Advertising, Ranked Ballot Voting, Campaign Finance, Accessibility, Campaign Advertising and Election Administration for 2018. Some of these changes came into effect immediately after Royal Assent and certain changes do not come into effect until April 1, 2018. A summary of these changes can be found online at

How are students counted towards votes?

  • If a student in the Township of South-West Oxford meets the general eligibility requirements they are entitled to vote in the Township of South-West Oxford municipal election.

How do I find out how many people are running in a ward?

  • The Township of South-West Oxford will post the names of candidates online once they have been reviewed and approved by the Clerk.

Is it possible to do the nomination online?

  • No, you must file your nomination papers in-person at the Township Office.

Are qualifications only at the time of the nomination or throughout the election?

  • You must be eligible to run for office at the time of nomination and throughout the election. If you are elected, you must maintain your eligibility during your time in office.

How do candidates prove the Voters' List has been destroyed after the Election?

  • Candidates will sign a declaration swearing that you will destroy the Voters’ List in an acceptable manner. If you would like to return your list to the Clerk’s Office we will ensure the list is destroyed on your behalf.

How do I determine which name goes on the ballot? 

  • When you file your nomination papers there will be a section for you to write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name provided the Clerk agrees. You do not have to provide all of your names under Given Name(s) on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

I filed my nomination papers; can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

  • No. The Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and therefore an eligible elector.
  • It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact the Township Office to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the Clerk of their qualifications.

Third Party Advertisers are required to register prior to incurring any expenses for the appearance of a third party advertisement and must comply with the requirements of the Municipal Elections Act including filing a financial statement, spending and contribution limits. A registered third party advertiser may be an individual, corporation or trade union that has registered with the Clerk of the municipality where they want to advertise. If they want to advertise in more than one municipality, they have to register in each municipality they plan to advertise in. 

A third party advertisement may be a message in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a candidate in the election, or a question on the ballot. Third party advertisements are required to contain the following information:

  • Name of the registered third party;
  • Name of the municipality where the third party is registered; 
  • Phone number, email address or mailing address at which the registered third party may be contacted regarding the advertisement. 

For more information view the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing's Guide for Third Party Advertisers.

To register in South-West Oxford, the Notice of Registration - Third Party - Form 7 must be filed in person with the Township of South-West Oxford Clerk at the Municipal Office located at 312915 Dereham Line, Mount Elgin, Ontario.

Municipal Contacts

Township of South-West Oxford

Located in South Western Ontario, in the South West section of Oxford County and serves as a regional centre for industry, commerce and recreation.

The Township oversees 87,588 acres with a population of 7,544 and we have Canada’s busiest highway in our front yard! With a rich agricultural heritage, please stop by and enjoy our diverse Township. 

The Township’s mission is be "a leader in the development and delivery of municipal services for the growth and well being of our community"

Contact Us

312915 Dereham Line
Mt. Elgin, On N0J 1N0
Hours: Monday – Friday 
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: 519-877-2702 / 519-485-0477
Fax: 519-485-2932

Copyright © 2019 SWOX, All rights reserved