Fire Prevention Week: October 4 - 10, 2020
10/2/2020 2:01:22 PM
The Township of South-West Oxford Fire & Emergency Services Department is urging everyone to take some simple steps to prevent kitchen fires in their home. This year’s theme of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from October 4-10, is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™”
The theme is very timely as cooking fires continue to be the leading cause of home fires in Ontario. It focuses on the prevention of cooking fires and staying fire safe in the kitchen. Simple steps to serve up fire safety in the kitchen include:
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking and turn off the stove if you must leave the kitchen.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Never throw water on a burning pot.
- Keep anything that burns - plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels - a safe distance from the stove.
- Cook responsibly. To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You will not be alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
- Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep young kids one metre away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge so they can’t be easily knocked off.
- If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.
Chief Greoneveld reminds residents that "Cooking happens in homes every day, and it has to be done responsiblily to ensure it is done safely. It is your responsilbity to protect yourself and your family from fire. Always remain alert and stay in the kitchen while you are cooking."